The Hospital Manager performs a wide range of difficult to complex administrative activities related to hospitals providing quality patient care and excellent client service, management of finances and accounting, marketing and promotion of services, staffing and human resources, and discretionary activities, that serve to support effective business operations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Customer service.
- Personnel management.
- Financial budget management.
- Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral, goal oriented.
- Background in managing service oriented operations.
- Ability to plan, organize and effectively present ideas and concepts.
- Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible and assess the hospital and its operation objectively.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks at once, and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma. Some college education preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in medical care facility operations management with profit and loss responsibility.
- Budget management experience.
- Knowledge of sales and marketing techniques.
- Human resource skills.
- Training and client relations experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the veterinary profession.
- Interview prospective employees.
- Hire, train, review, schedule discipline, and discharge employees.
- Can transfer employees to work another position within the hospital.
- Can transfer employees from part-time to full-time staying with controlled payroll budget.
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
- Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
- This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a minimum 8-hour day.
- Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognizes people and understands written directions.
- Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
- Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment such as facsimile machines, computers, copiers and hospital equipment such as laboratory equipment, radiology equipment, etc.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job Functions and Job Responsibilities include overseeing that the following occur within the hospitals.
- Staff Management
- Client Management
- Office Management
- Production Management
- Financial Management
- Marketing Management
- Facility Maintenance
- Hiring with appropriate references.
- Staff performance and salary reviews.
- Disciplinary Action.
- Training, education, developing of staff.
- Assign job responsibility to each staff member.
- Supervise staff to assure that each job is being effectively handled.
- Employee policy enforcement.
- Employee relations and communications.
- Payroll calculations, goal calculations, time clock maintenance.
- Organize and conduct staff meetings.
- Delegate tasks as needed to staff members.
- Monitor employee competence and effectiveness.
- Oversees training of all.
- Oversee client flow to ensure that clients and patients are seen and treated in a professional, timely and competent manner.
- Responsible for administration and review of non-medical client complaints.
- Oversee call back system including overdue reminder calls.
- Oversee collections and returned checks.
- Oversee billing, calculation of any discounts and other special accounts.
- Modify and update systems and procedures wherever needed to better serve clients, patients, the practice and employees (i.e., modify schedules for the most productive use of time).
- Assist Purchasing Manager in verifying receipt of all supplies, mark invoices and packing slips received and send them in for payment.
- Monitor purchasing.
- Sort and process the daily mail.
- Perform transaction corrections.
- Make certain bank deposits are made in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that all hospital logs are being kept up to date and accurate including anesthesia/surgery, radiology and controlled substance logs.
- Ensure that the OSHA and Safety Program Coordinator, follows procedures and that reporting is being continuously monitored and updated so the hospital is in safety compliance.
- Meet with the Hospital Owner regularly to discuss, evaluate and plan for the welfare of the practice.
- Ensure that marketing events are effective – internal and external.
- Motivate staff.
- Check all transactions for accuracy and missed services through regular daily audits.
- Monitor the cost of purchasing so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor staff scheduling so the practice operates within budget.
- Monitor and approve all expenditures within guidelines.
- Review the income statements and other financial data to find ways to improve revenues and hospital contribution.
- Meet regularly with the veterinary staff to review financial performance.
- Oversee petty cash control.
- Review charges on a daily basis to ensure that all charges have been captured.
- Responsible for cash control in hospital ensuring practice standards are followed.
- Review accounts receivable to confirm proper and timely process.
- Understand, participate and support planned marketing events and programs.
- Ensure that the hospital staff utilizes the marketing tools and materials to be used in the marketing events and programs.
- Ensure that the hospital staff follows instructions for implementing authorized marketing discounts in the computer system.
- Oversee the maintenance/housekeeping of the hospital for orderliness and cleanliness of both the inside and outside of the building.
- Monitor janitorial responsibilities.
- Oversee that the hospital safety procedures are implemented and followed.
- Oversee facility and equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Schedule regular doctors meetings.
- Plan hospital management meetings.
- Organize monthly staff meeting agenda in conjunction with hospital management team.
- Read and respond to all communication in a timely manner.
- Ensure that hospital policies, guidelines and recommendations are quickly communicated to hospital staff and adequate training follows.