Our pets can’t tell us when something is wrong, but we can use scientific testing and our veterinary experience to discover underlying diseases and disorders. Bay Animal Hospital’s in-house laboratory features advanced diagnostic equipment that we use to examine and test tissue samples. This technology pinpoints health problems and allows us to begin correct treatments.
Blood work is a particularly useful tool that can tell us valuable information about your pet’s red blood cells, immune system, digestive tract, circulatory system and internal organ function. These simple, inexpensive tests can reveal evidence of disease before symptoms appear. Catching disease early dramatically improves treatment efficacy and your pet’s quality of life.
The Bay Animal Hospital laboratory features state-of-the-art CBC equipment, electrolyte analyzers and blood chemistry equipment.
Complete blood count (CBC) tests check:
- Red blood cell levels, which can show anemia and bone marrow activity
- White blood cell levels, which can show inflammation, infection and blood-borne diseases, like leukemia
- Platelet counts, which can show bleeding disorders
Electrolyte analyzers check:
- Electrolyte imbalances resulting from dehydration, kidney disease, vomiting, diarrhea and other metabolic and hormonal diseases
Blood chemistry tests check:
- Liver and kidney function
- Blood sugar: diabetes mellitus can cause high blood sugar, and severe infections, liver disease and malnutrition can cause low blood sugar.
- Blood proteins: dehydration causes proteins to increase. Liver, kidney and gastrointestinal tract disease can cause them to decrease.
- Levels of calcium, potassium, sodium, cholesterol and other blood components
Schedule an appointment at Bay Animal Hospital to learn more about how your pet can benefit from our in-house laboratory, even during routine wellness exams.